This is the first of four videos from our annual Talk Savvy To Me event where we celebrated our volunteers and shared hot topics from powerful speakers. We hope you can attend our next Talk Savvy To Me in late 2018.
Making Real Healthy Food Cool For Kids:
Donna Morin, M.Ed, is a nutrition and lifestyle coach trained in mindfulness-based stress reduction. She began her practice after diet and lifestyle changes resolved her own health troubles, but her biggest lesson so far has been recognizing that good, lasting health is about so much more than food.
Get ready to go on an amazing learning adventure as Donna makes food cool for kids and us as well. Watch for the brilliant way Donna uses analogies with a garden hose, a zoo and a circle of Barbies to bring microbiomes to light.
How to make a microbiome discussion a Savvy Gathering ?
Send chapter members this video and then host a smoothie party.
- Savvvy Women's Alliance Chapter Ambasasdors: More discussion on this idea in the Savvy Cafe under Gathering Ideas.
- Not a member? Explore topics like these with other like-minded women in your community and join one of our Savvy Women's Alliance chapters.
Here are a few recipes to help you get started:
2 cups water
1 heaping cup frozen pitted dark cherries
1 and 1/2 cup frozen greens
1 heaping Tbsp dark cocoa powder
1 tsp sunflower seeds
3 dates, soaked
Blend and enjoy! This smoothie is not as sweet, but a real treat for a body in need of healing!
Folate Power Smoothie
2 cups water
1/3 cup cucumber
1 and 1/2 cup frozen kale
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup low-sugar vanilla yogurt
1 ripe banana
This smoothie is bulky and can serve as an afternoon snack or a breakfast replacement.
Picky Eater Smoothie
1/2 cooked sweet potato
2 cups frozen strawberries
1 Tbsp flax seed
1 3/4 c water, more if needed
This one can serve as a hearty snack or meal replacement.
Pick Me Up Smoothie
1 cup apple cider
1/4 cup cooked quinoa
1 tbsp flax seed
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup ice
Find more tips, recipes, and insights from Donna at www.betteroffwell.com
Here are some ideas shared in the Village of Barbies from Donna's video:
- Girls on the Run Start a chapter in your community
- Wellness Wizards Start an after-school program that makes learning about healthy foods fun! Tracy Dorcil and Amanda Ghostlaw did this.
- GetREAL Food Campaign Follow this brand new non-profit established with a mission of making real, whole foods cool with our kids.
- Guide for creating a school garden (PDF) What a difference it makes when kids understand the magic of growing food
- Chop Chop for Kids Your one step might be starting with your own family and friends
- Salad Bars to Schools Kids will eat what they are consistently exposed to. Let's bring salad bars to more schools
- MindUP Stress affects the microbiome, too. Get your schools to introduce a few minutes of meditation every day to improve classroom behavior and performance.
- BOKS This before-school activity is free and gets kids moving early, which studies have found improve school performance.